A popular dessert that is made with extremely simple ingredients, milkshakes are delicious and versatile!
Of course, the easiest way to create this treat is by mixing store-bought ice cream with milk and added flavorings, using just a glass and a spoon. But why stop there?
In this article, we’ll teach you not only how to make milkshakes in the two most basic varieties – vanilla and chocolate – but also how to create milk-free shakes as well!
If you don’t have ice cream on hand, you can craft your own, for the fully homemade experience.
Making Ice Cream
While an ice cream machine would enhance this process, you don’t need complicated ingredients or machinery to create your own ice cream.
- ¾ cup of white sugar.
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream.
- 2 ¼ cups of milk.
- 3 eggs.
- Any flavorings you would like. For the milkshakes, you will want two tablespoons cocoa powder or vanilla extract
- Ice and salt will allow for the ice cream to freeze quickly and will make for a better, colder milkshake.
As well as the ingredients, you will need a few supplies in order to bring this recipe to life:
- A medium saucepan.
- A fine mesh strainer or sieve to remove any coagulated egg pieces and other such precipitates.
- A blender to mix everything together.
- A heat-proof rubber spatula.
- A small metal bowl.
- A large mixing bowl.
Now that you’ve collected the tools and treats, you can begin the process!
- Start by whisking the eggs until they’re completely combined.
- Next, mix the milk and cream together before putting them on the stove (set to medium heat) until they reach a boil. Once they reach that point, immediately begin pouring the liquid into the egg, a little bit at a time and stirring constantly to prevent curdling.
- Put the entire mixture back onto the eye on low heat, stirring constantly until a thick custard is formed. Be sure NOT to use a whisk, as that creates air bubbles and causes the mixture to heat unevenly.
- Once the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, begin adding the sugar. Add this in slowly, stirring at a steady pace until it’s completely melted.
- At this point, remove the mixture from the heat and shock it in ice water to prevent further cooking.
- Next, mix in your flavorings. This can be chocolate and vanilla, whichever you choose… or both – but that would be strange! Let us know how that tastes if you do.
- Taking a large mixing bowl, fill it with ice and sprinkle salt on top. This will cause the ice to get even colder and will allow the ice cream to freeze.
- Place the metal bowl in the ice and transfer the mixture into it.
- Begin stirring immediately. The sooner you start stirring and the faster you stir, the smoother your ice cream will be; therefore, the smoother your milkshake will be.
- Keep stirring until the ice cream reaches the consistency you’re after.
- For storage, place it in an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to a month!
How to Make Milkshakes!
Now that you’ve made your ice cream, it is time to begin your milkshakes!
This recipe will work with either flavoring: chocolate or vanilla.
- Start with placing your ice cream in the blender. The faster it goes from the freezer to the blender, without pauses in between, the better it will taste.
- Pour in 2 cups of milk.
- Add a hand-full of ice cubes.
- Put on the lid, and blend until it is your desired consistency.
- Pour into a cup, and enjoy!
Here’s a video showing how to make an Oreo-vanilla milkshake.
For those who are lactose intolerant, there are still delicious options!
In this case, it will be a delicious chocolate shake that is good for anybody, whether or not they can drink milk.
In order to make this (borderline oxymoronic) frozen beverage, you will need the following:
- 1 frozen banana.
- 2 cups of your favorite non-dairy milk. (While almond milk is recommended, rice milk, cashew milk, or even coconut milk are also all equally valid substitutions that are delicious!)
- Chocolate syrup.
Making the Milk-Free Milkshakes
- Start by slicing up the banana and placing it into the blender.
- Add in the “milk.”
- Add in chocolate syrup according to taste.
- Blend to your desired consistency. Some prefer their milkshakes thicker, while others prefer it with a little more liquid. It’s entirely up to you.
Milkshakes are amazing desserts for summer – or any time of the year. The best part is they’re extremely easy to make.
With the help of this article, you can now satisfy your craving at any time, even if you can’t handle regular milk.