It never rains till it pours

You know that saying, “It never rains till it pours”? Well it’s flooding around here. I promised a friend I’d cover his job in adland while he was on paternity leave and his wife went into labor 2 weeks early. At exactly the same time the hubby announced he had to go to off Germany for two weeks for business. My mum and sister are both away for Australian surf lifesaving titles and I have Stitches and Craft in Sydney and Melbourne on the horizon. Craaaaazzzy. So sorry I haven’t been big on the blogging, I’ve been busy panicking.

However there has been progress on the pull-along Sausage Dog – wooden wheels arrived this week and I’ve been doing some experimenting with how best to attach them.  I tried stitching pieces of cord and twill tape below his belly, tying them in a knot on either side to secure the wheels . Sadly this was a complete disaster – the wheels kept falling in on themselves. So my next option was to order little axles designed for use with the wheels – these are designed for wooden trains and model cars and don’t come long enough for my sausage dog.*hmph*

So through trial and error I’ve established that I need one long axle connecting both wheels that can be sewn to the doggie. Today I cut some dowel down to size and glued it to the wheels – glue is almost dry so tonight is the night… will the sausage dog work or will this just be one long, and quite expensive, flop.

Stay tuned!

8 Comments

1. it cannot flop – I am almost willing this to succeed just because I want to buy it so much !!!

(and I had not thought of axle length in the equation at all !!

2. It cannot fail all your work is lovely….cant wait for the reveal!

• Oh that’s so sweet of you Jenni, but trust me… I do have big failures, I just don’t post them that often! Perhaps I should start a craft confessions section!

3. You wheels are looking amazing great work..Ok what about a thin piece of mdf or ply between each wheel acting as a plank to place your cutie doggie upon you could also attach a hook to place a sting to and the little ones could pull from this …Just a thought. Hope it all turns out…

4. I hope the wheels work out ok & one thing less to worry about :)

5. Wow, you are crazy busy, although if it was me I would have ditched filling in for my friend and jumped in the hubby’s suitcase…so excited about the pull along toy, I am sure it will be awesome.

6. oh my gosh they are going to be pulled along, how absolutely adorable! oh my gosh so cute! I hope your making your little guy one first or there may be tears

sorry to add to your workload and hope you survive! that is too busy for me plus you have to grow that baby on board too!!!!!!!!

hang in there
    Corrie:)

7. what a rude welcome to the world of solo parenting for you!! coming from someone who as you know does it often without all the family support i can’t even imagine how you are fitting work/crafting/mothering and incubating all into one day :) amazing effort!
    and i’d meaning to write to say how refreshing it is to see someone include the, not always attractive, design process in their blog. it is true that for every stunning design from crafting to architecture there are mountains of sketches that were not so good behind it!! a craft bloopers could be amusing. ps will try and drag bea with me to the stitches show in melb ;)