The Tag Monster

Oscar, who is now 6 months old, is obsessed with labels. You know those little tags that come on the side of clothing and products? Yep, he can’t get enough of them. Forget the toy with it’s flashing lights, noisy rattle, shiny fabric and bright colours, he wants the tag. So I’m making him a tag monster.

The idea came to me yesterday while I was out walking. I came home and did a little sketch, and have started cutting and pinning him together. Basically he’ll be a softie with lots of ribbon sewn on like tags. The thing I love about it so far, which Oscar will never appreciate, is that each piece of ribbon comes from a stash I’ve been building for years.

The aqua colours are ribbons I bought when experimenting with our wedding invitation, the green I bought in a crafting frenzy when I was pregnant, the orange was tied on flowers I got in hospital with Oscar, the white were on gifts for Oscar’s christening and the gold was left over from a pitch on puppies I did at work. Isn’t it great when hoarding pays off!

The trick now is to keep the momentum up and actually finish this little monster.

9 Comments

1. My little man loved those labels too. He is now 22y. Boy, what a fabulous idea. I can’t wait to see it done.

Diane

2. What a great idea! The color combination is so yummy. I can’t wait to see what it looks like when it’s all done.

take care,
    Lisa

3. This is super cute and a great idea. My daughter was also obsessed with tags too when she was that little. Just a little warning though- don’t leave your son unattended with this. My daughter managed to get a tag twisted around her finger one morning in her crib. Thankfully, her finger was just red-purple when I found her and not blue. Sorry to be a total downer about this. I’m sure your son will be fine with it, just keep an eye on him!

4. Somehow i missed the point. Probably lost in translation :) Anyway … nice blog to visit.

cheers, Multifariousness.

5. Well the point is just that Oscar is fascinated and delighted by tags, so the idea is to make him a toy that he’ll hopefully love because it has so many tags on it.

6. VERY cute! I always give taggie blankets as gifts, but am bored with them…will defintely be making this instead!

7. hi, im absolutely in love with your tag monster, and i wanted to make one of my own. i was wondering, what material did you use? im really new at this, so i wanted to know, maybe if you could help me out here?
    thanks so much!
    cathy.

8. I’m glad you like him!

The Tag Monster in the photo was made using a linen fabric for his body, felt for his eyes and a jersey fabric (old t-shirt actually) for his legs. Any kind of cotton fabric will do for the body and legs though. The tags are all made from ribbon – sewing these on is probably the most time consuming part of the monster so sew as many or as few as you like.

Does this help? Give me a shout if none of it makes sense!

9. GREAT idea… from a mother of tag-obssessed 1 year old twins!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Sew,Mama,Sew! Blog » » Holidays at Home - [...] and baby shower gifts which made the little monster even more special. The original Tag Monster is here and …